Enjoy the holidays but remember your pet’s safety and heightened sensitivity to some of our favourite things. Never underestimate a food loving dog’s ability to smell out and find food stuff not intended for them!!
Here are a few things to keep in mind.
Chocolate: Wrapped up under the Christmas tree, the festive season is the most common time to see chocolate toxicity in dogs. Try to keep chocolate out of reach!
Christmas Ham, leftovers and bones: Cooked bones are brittle and easily fracture resulting in obstructions or perforations. Fatty rich meats can cause vomiting, diarrhoea or even pancreatitis. Avoid being tempted to give your pets left overs.
Grapes, raisins and nuts: Macadamia nuts are one of the more toxic nuts for dogs. Grapes and raisins can cause irreversible kidney failure so should be avoided completely – this includes Christmas pudding and mince pies!
Avocados: These can result in gastroenteritis, and dogs are often very keen to eat them.
The Christmas tree: Don’t leave lights on unattended and cover or tape down electrical wires. Keep any DIY salt dough ornaments well out of reach of dogs prone to dietary indiscretion. Some cats like to climb the tree so take care to secure it well if you have an athletic cat.
New Year’s fireworks: There are often fireworks on New Year’s Eve so you may want to keep your pets indoors. Garden supplies: While gardening in the sun with your pet makes for a great day, there are many hazards for your pet in the garden that pet parents should be mindful of including toxic fertiliser and slug bait.
If mishaps do occur or you are concerned about something your pet has eaten, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us.