Christmas is fraught with potential dangers to your pets. Items safe and enjoyable for humans can be dangerous for our furry friends. Here are the most common potential hazards.
- Chocolate. Wrapped up easily accessible under the Christmas tree, the festive season is the most common time to see chocolate toxicity in dogs. Containing theobromine, which is poorly metabolized by dogs, signs may include increased heat rate and activity, vomiting, diarrhoea, and in more severe cases seizures or even death.
- Fatty/spicey left overs, rich meats and cooked bones: Cooked bones are brittle and easily fracture resulting in obstructions or perforations. Fatty rich meats can cause vomiting, diarrhoea or even pancreatitis. Avoid being tempted to give your pets left overs or leaving them in a place accessible to them
- Grapes, raisins and nuts: Macadamia nuts are one of the more toxic nuts for dogs. Grapes and raisins can cause irreversible kidney failure so should be avoided completely- this includes Christmas pudding and mince pies!
- Avocados: These can result in gastroenteritis, and dogs are often very keen to eat them.
- The Christmas tree: Don’t leave lights on unattended and cover or tape down electrical wires. Keep any DIY salt dough ornaments well out of reach of dogs prone to dietary indiscretion. Some cats like to climb the tree so take care to secure it well if you have an athletic cat.
- New year’s fireworks: Keep your pets someone safe and enclosed if they are terrified of fireworks sounds. If your pet really stresses, we can have a consult with you and your pet to discuss prescribing some antianxiety medication that can help them get through the worsts nights. Some good over the counter products are available as well in the clinic so come in for a chat if think you just need a more natural calming option.
Enjoy the holidays but remember your pet’s safety and heightened sensitivity to some of our favourite things. Never underestimate a food loving dogs ability to smell out and find food stuff not intended for them!! If mishaps do occur or you are concerned about something your pet has eaten, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us.