While overindulging during the Easter period may result in a few extra kilograms for us, the consequences for our pets are much greater. The accidental ingestion of chocolate can lead to serious illness or even death for our beloved companions.
Chocolate contains theobromine which is poisonous and caffeine which is dangerous to all our pets. While the toxic levels depend on the type of chocolate and your pet’s body size the general rule is the darker the chocolate the higher the risk.
‘In 2019, Southern Cross Pet Insurance paid out $56,414 in claims for 181 dogs and 2 cats insured on PetCare policies for treatment related to chocolate poisoning. Of these, the most chocolate-loving breeds were Schnauzers, Cavoodles and Beagles.’
In order to keep your furry friends safe this Easter, keep your chocolate well out of your pet’s reach. Chocolate on the coffee table, Easter eggs hidden in the garden and wrappers on the floor are all big temptations for our pets.
Signs of chocolate ingestion include vomiting / diarrhoea, restlessness, increased urination, stiffness, and seizures. If you suspect your pet has ingested chocolate, please call your veterinarian immediately.